A while back I noted the powerful black party discipline that attended Obama. Rather than take the opportunity to talk about ideas, about what we would actually want from an Obama presidency, we talked more about getting him over that electoral hump. To the point of cutting off dissent in some limited cases.
What I’d like to do is begin a conversation about what comes next. And as a first step I’m going to do something I’ve never done before. Folks talk about the first 30 days of a presidency? I’m going to up the ante. My motto next year is “40 is the new 40.” So in that spirit I’m going to present 40 ideas for Obama. Some of these ideas are ones Obama is already promoting. Some of these ideas are technically not within the federal government’s purview. Some of them are unworkable.
We’ve got to stop believing that the one thing government does well is punish black and poor men and women.
In no particular order:
2. Low interest loans to businesses/homes for energy improvements.
11. Release non-violent offenders.
14. Support the Millenium Project.
15. Make Election Day a Federal Holiday.
16. Change how the census counts prisoners.
17. Restore their right to vote while you’re at it.
19. Build a bridge to somewhere.
22. End private financing of political campaigns. (pdf)
23. Increase funding for the arts.
24. Restore the Civil Rights division of the Justice Department.
25. Reduce government secrecy.
26. Put Greenhouses in every classroom.
27. Give working class families individual development accounts.
28. Expand Horizons.
31. Fix our bridges and roads.
32. Bring scientists back into government.
35. Stop trying youth as adults. (pdf)
36. Give 47 million Americans the ability to get sick.
38. Promote zero-pollution cars.
What did I miss?
It's a great list. The impossibility of some of the items should not be a deterrent. These are impossible times.
First of all... nothing is impossible for GOD.
At a time such as this, we need to have visual: hope, dreams, and a savior. Thanks to the Lord and our votes President Barack Obama is the man to look up to.
Your list of 40 with the repeat of New Orleans (smile)is a wonderful list to keep hope alive. 40 years ago Martin Luther King spoke it, President Robert F. Kennedy reiterated it, and now 40 years later President Barack Hussien Obama is here with a list of 40 plus accomplishments to achieve.
Nothing is impossible, KEEP THE FAITH and CONTINUE TO DREAM!
correction to the comment: To First of all... nothing is impossible for GOD.
Dr. Martin Luther King
Post a Comment